Nominations for appointments are only accepted from the Member of Parliament for the electorate where the nominee resides. In order to apply, please go to your local MP's office where nomination forms and further information is available.
* Nominees must be New Zealand citizens or residents, listed on the electoral roll.
* They must have a good command of both written and spoken English.
* They must be confident computer users.
* They must have a clean criminal record and not be bankrupt.
* Letters of support are required from two Community Groups where the nominee does volunteer work.
The process to become a Justice of the Peace for New Zealand involves an application form, an interview and Provisional Approval by the Associate Minister of Justice.
Following that, there is face-to-face and online training and an online test. Once an application has been signed off by the Governor General, the new JP is sworn in by a District Court Judge.
This entire process could take up to 12 months.